Here is a link to the document I created. This is a document I will put on my SMARTboard every Friday morning as morning work for my 3rd graders.
I had a hard time with the converting of a word doc into a Google doc because I hardly ever create anything in Microsoft Word anymore! I did, however, download a document that I then converted into a Google Docs format. The formatting of the document itself was way off when I first converted it, and I needed to adjust quite a few things. Here is the document I converted. It is about metaphors.
Reflection Questions:
- How will you use your Google Drive in your teaching practice?
- Google Drive is not just a tool in my teaching practice. Google drive is more of the engine in my teaching practice. In fact, I flipped my lesson plan book to a Google Spreadsheet, where I insert links to different documents and websites I will need throughout the day.
- How could cloud computing be a useful tool in your classroom?
- I love the idea of having students provide peer feedback on writing examples through the use of Google Docs. It would take a lot of set-up, but would be a fantastic experience for the students.
- What are the pros and cons of using it with students?
- It all comes down to this quote that I love very much. ¨Technology is great, until it gets in the way of teaching¨. A pro is that students are able to collaborate and share their ideas with one another. The con is that there are a lot of building blocks to lay as a foundation that will work up to the task that I want my students to achieve. Laying that very important foundation takes a lot of time and practice!
I really like your Friday warmup. It is simple but it shows a simple transition that allows students to engage in an independent activity without having any downtime while they get the next instruction or wait for their classmates to finish.
ReplyDeleteI like your engine concept. Google does give you a lot of versatility to drive much of what you do in the classroom.
Your quote is interesting. When I read it my thought was that technology works well in many situations but there are a lot of things that we teach that work better with some good old, old school methods.The challenge is trying to determine when technology can make something easier, faster, better, or more engaging and when it slows things down or becomes a distraction from what the student or teacher is trying to do.
Love how you are reminding the students to keep their desks clean. I will have to research typing club.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as though you have a GREAT grasp of technology and the knowledge of when it's appropriate and when face/face time works better. Nice job.
ReplyDeleteGreat point about the face to face/technology. That is something we all need to think about with chrome books in our rooms!
ReplyDelete